Friday, October 2, 2009

Aqsa and Aasiya

Aqsa Parvez

Aqsa Parvez, girl 16, was murdered because she refused to wear ‘Hijab’. The Canadian girl’s family had emigrated from Pakistan.

On the morning of December 10, Aqsa huddled in a Missis­sauga bus shelter with another Grade 11 student, a girl she had been staying with for the past couple of days. They had plenty of time to make it to their first class at Apple­wood Heights Secondary School. As they waited, Aqsa’s 26-year-old brother Waqas, a tow-truck driver, showed up at the bus stop. He said that she should come home and get a fresh change of clothes if she was going to be staying elsewhere. Aqsa hesitated, then got into his car.

Less than an hour later, Muhammad Parvez phoned 911 and told the dispatcher that he had killed his daughter. Within minutes, police and paramedics arrived at 5363 Longhorn Trail, a winding suburban street near Eglinton and Hurontario, and found Aqsa unconscious in her bedroom. The 16-year-old wasn’t breathing. The para­medics started CPR, found a faint pulse, and rushed her to Credit Valley Hospital, 10 minutes west. A few hours later, she was transferred to SickKids and put on life support. She died just after 10 that evening. The official cause was “neck compression”—strangulation.

When police arrived in answer to his 911 call, Aqsa’s father, who worked as a cab driver, was arrested and charged with second degree murder. Waqas was charged with obstruction. The charges against both men were changed to first-degree murder in June, after police decided her death was a planned and deliberate act.

Rest In Peace, Aqsa Parvez. Remembered and Free.

Source: Honor Killing Memorial: Aqsa Parvez Peace Park Dedication *Chai!* - Atlas Shrugs

Aasiya Zubair Hassan

Aasiya Zubair Hassan, 37, a Pakistani America living in buffalo was found dead on Thursday, at the offices of Bridges TV in Orchard Park, N.Y., near Buffalo. Her husband, Muzzammil Hassan, 44, has been charged with second-degree murder.

Aasiya and her ‘alleged’ killer, husband Muzzamil “Mo” Hassan

On Feb 6 2009, she had filed for divorce and obtained an order of protection, barring him from their home in Orchard Park. A week later, on Feb 12 she was found dead, stabbed and decapitated.

Police served three separate orders of protection on Muzzammil, on Feb. 6, 2009, in March 2008 and March 2007.

Aasiya told police in March 2007 that she was “accidentally struck in the nose” during a fight between Muzzammil and his teenage son from his previous marriage. The next day, she informed officers that her husband had punched her intentionally but she was afraid to say so.

Aasiya told police that her husband kept her awake late at night to discuss marital issues when she wanted to go to sleep.

“Physically tries to keep me awake by pouring water, shaking me, removing the pillows, and in event of me trying to go to a motel to stay, physically blocks me,” she wrote in a signed statement in December 2006. “Refuses to allow me to get sleep in any other part of the house.”

Despite these complaints, though, police say they could not act further because she wouldn’t press charges

Such was a lovely wife, Aasiya Zubair Hassan.

For more info, do visit the following site: Aasiya Zubair Hassan - Feministing

Source: A history of abuse preceded Orchard Park beheading : Home: The Buffalo News

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails